Thursday, August 6, 2009

DIY bride

I’m a DIY bride. I’m making all of my decorations, bouquets, favors, centerpieces…EVERYTHING. I have a good-sized budget, but I just can’t justify dropping five grand on flowers. They will die and be gone and I just can’t do it. Now, a photographer is worth that. I’m spending the money where it counts, to me at least.

My co-worker (who is getting married this Friday, congrats Beth!!!) told me about Save-On-Crafts.com. I started looking through the site and I was absolutely delighted. I’ve put everything I want on my Amazon Universal Wishlist so I can easily save the links. My wedding is 14 months away so it’s a bit early to buy it all, but I can’t wait to get started!

My wedding arch is brown metal with a floral design, from which I’ll hang sheer, iridescent red, yellow, and orange fabric. On each side will be a small table draped with sheer brown fabric, topped with a tall, narrow vase of red and yellow silk poppies and red, orange, and yellow glass pebbles.



Centerpieces will be a round mirror under a bud vase surrounded by red and yellow votive holders. The vase will hold a single red or yellow silk poppy and red, orange, and yellow glass pebbles. The votive holders will contain small LED candles (safer and they don’t blow out or melt down!). I will also scatter fake fall leaves on the tables.

Around the reception area will be small tables/stools draped with the same sheer brown fabric from the ceremony, topped with baskets of silk fall leaves, flower petals, cinnamon sticks, and lantern fruit. I’m also going to order some balloon floor arrangements from a friend’s mother’s business, as I can’t attach anything to the walls and the room is very plain (one of the few things I’m not doing myself).

I’m also getting my aisle runner, chair sashes, easels for photos, vase for wedding wishes (on small cards, instead of a guest book), corsages, and boutonnieres from them. I’m making all the bouquets with silk flowers (red and yellow poppies and roses, and off-white roses and stephanotis). I’m ordering brown satin ribbon for tying flowers, and all my craft supplies like glue guns, floral tape, and pins.

Other than that website, I’m getting personalized Hershey Kisses and disposable cameras from TheKnot.com, blank programs and personalized favor ribbon from AnnsBridalBargains.com, and ALL of my wedding stationery from VistaPrint.com (with the sole exception of my Wilton print-your-own invitations). Wedding favors will be donations to the American Cancer Society in memory of my mother and Simon’s grandmother (they send you pre-printed favors for any donation amount, here. I’ll be tying those into scrolls with the personalized ribbon.


I do everything online obviously! But I’m saving a ton of money doing it all myself, and with over a year to do it, I won’t need to get stressed. I’m so excited to start putting this all together, but I’m sure Simon might get slightly annoyed if this stuff is all over our house for a year. Guess I’ll just have to wait a little longer! I’m proud to say, I am a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment